The Non-Bailiwick Post

We all decided as staff that in order to introduce our “Bailiwick” theme, we should share our own thoughts on the concept and perhaps reveal our own Bailiwicks. I was on board from the get-go. Heck, I’m pretty sure I was the one who suggested it. But saying and doing are two different things, and I’ve been staring at this same word document for two weeks.

In my struggle to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys, as the phrase evolves), I spent a significant time thinking about all of the things beyond my bailiwick. I harped on it, I cursed it, I made snarky comments to coworkers about it. And then I just decided to embrace it. So here it is folks, my “Non-Bailiwick”:

• Time Management… I’ve procrastinated for two weeks on this blog. I’m only writing it now because we have a staff meeting tomorrow and I don’t want to be the only one to have not done a post. Sure, I’m better than I was in college, and there are real skills I’ve learned here, but I just can’t shake the almost compulsive need to have the pressure of a deadline.
  • Editing… not just grammar (certainly that), but I mean the editing of thoughts and concepts that make tons of sense in my brain but sound small when I put them into words. I have so many things floating in my head that I wanted to talk about in this post: hedgehog concepts and finding your purpose, StrengthsQuest and leveraging your skills, humility and the awkwardness of owning and telling your stories. Every time I sit to write them, they don’t seem as profound as when I first had the thought.
  • Written Communication… I never feel as confident in my ability to write my thoughts as I do to say them out loud. There is only so much I can convey to you without my tone of voice, your verbal and non-verbal reactions, and the connection of an in-person conversation. I would much rather sit down with you, or a group of you, and have a thought-provoking discussion on the topics above, and not just tell you what I think.
  • Cooking a Whole Chicken… no joking here, I’ve never done this successfully. I’ve cooked a turkey with great results, but every time I try roasting a chicken, it’s still raw. The last time I tried and failed, I declared a truce; I haven’t made an attempt in 6 months.

Phew, that feels good to get it out there.

As I re-read my Non-Bailiwick, I’m struck by how these things that may be seen as weaknesses of mine also convey hidden truths about my talents, and perhaps about my actual Bailiwick. Sometimes it easier to find the things you’re good at by owning the things you’re not good at.

Sure, I struggle with time management, but I’ve also learned that my periods of ‘marinating’ on an idea leads to the ability to adapt to circumstances as they arise, to take in new information and ideas, and to connect seemingly disparate concepts. One of my Strengths is Input, and I can see that in my procrastination: I’m not lazy…I’m mulling things over. I like to think in the abstract, to see the big picture, to learn new things. I get excited with leadership theory, and I want to spark that excitement in someone else. I prefer conversations to the written word: My job is to facilitate workshops and discussions, and I’m naturally more comfortable surrounded by people than on my own. I’m a verbal processor, an interpersonal learner. It’s an ability that allows me to connect and relate to my participants and students; it’s why I love what I do.

If you’re anything like me, it may be easier for you to see your ‘weaknesses’, your areas of challenge, than it may be for you to see what you’re good at. Great. Start there, then flip the script. Try to uncover the hidden talents and strengths in your non-bailiwick. And if you need someone to talk it out with, find me, that’s what I do well.

Oh, and you’ll be happy to know that I’ve put chicken on the menu for this weekend. I’m trying this recipe.

Krista O’Brien

Coordinator of Leadership Programs